Old South Church, Boston, Massachusetts

Old South Church, Boston, Massachusetts: New Year's 2019 Organ Concert

Pillars & Foundations documents an exploration of communities, as well as faith through religious institutions. My intent is to share experiences, and spread the positivity that I observe. 

Building & History

At the time of my visit, and writing of this post, the Old South Church Congregation is celebrating it's 350th anniversary! Many noteworthy historical figures have been congregants at Old South, including Benjamin Franklin who was baptized there, and Samuel Adams who once held Tea Party meetings in the earliest meeting house. Old South's website notes that the newest structure which is pictured was built in 1875 during the Gilded Age, and it is evident. It describes the architecture as Northern Italian Ruskinian Gothic. I definitely can see similarities in the eaves to some churches I've visited in Italy. If my photos (often blurry on the exterior- I don't get to Back Bay in the day much in the winter!) leave something to be desired, please at least check out this panoramic view of the interior that Old South's website provides.

Strangely, I sort of like how this photo came out, and I know some of you are rolling your eyes at me right now, but I find the streaks of light blur, and night time shadow add a special quality (sloppiness, or brilliant art? perhaps lucky sloppiness)


Juxtaposition of the Hancock Tower (now simply called 200 Clarendon St. as the firm which it was once named there no longer occupies the building) from inside of an entry archway. Blurry again... what do you want from an iPhone and someone tired after a day of work?! 


These are the actual main entrances of the church.

Organ Concert

I can't speak highly enough about the organ concerts at Old South, I think I've been to about five of them through the years. I've seen 4th of July concerts, at least two New Years Eve concerts, and one Halloween themed concert which played all of your favorite spooky tunes. It is enough to just be in this beautiful space, but when you feel that music reverberating through your body, when those low notes vibrate through that sanctuary, it will take your breath away. Seriously. I especially enjoy sitting in the balcony for these because not only do you get a great view, but I find the vibrations of the notes travel especially well there. 

The system of organs in the church is actually two different organs. The primary organ is a E.M. Skinner Op.308, 1921 which was relocated to Old South in 1982 and refurbished. Another organ the Æolian-Skinner Op. 896, 1933 was recently restored in 2007. 

Experiencing one of these organ concerts is one of my favorite things about Boston, and I highly recommend trying to hear these in action if one has the means.




Outreach & Activities

Normally in this section of my posts I abstain from talking about history, but for Old South, I can't avoid it. Not only does Old South Church continue to have huge impact on Boston, as well as beyond the city limits, it has had its finger prints on various, still-flourishing institutions. The American Education Society, City Mission Society, and even the American YMCA. Old South Church played a prominent role in the founding of the United Church of Christ organization of Congregational Churches.

Currently Old South is incredibly active with various organizations including helping to feed those in need, participation in various causes, and fostering community activity such as social activities for the LGBTQ community. It has partnerships with City Mission, the Allston Brighton Food Pantry, Common Cathedral (which provides outdoor church service for the homeless), Poor Peoples United Fund, and others.

There's far too much going on at Old South to mention. Beyond the previously mentioned, amazing, organ concerts, Old South offers Jazz Service on Thursdays at 6:00 pm. This is something I will need to attend, and perhaps it will be a great future blog post. Various groups, such as book clubs, or study groups are available for adults, and there is a steady stream of calendar events such as talks, visits from poets, or social justice related activities to become involved in.


Text and photographs by George Parks
Sources are embedded in links


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Wakefield, MA

Jacobs Family Cemetary, Peabody, MA

Madonna Queen of the Universe National Shrine, East Boston, Massachusetts

Immaculate Conception Parish, Malden, MA

Saint Athanasius Parish, Reading, MA