St. Augustine Church, Cambridge, MA

St. Augustine Church, Cambridge, MA


I accidentally stumbled upon St. Augustine when I was navigating back roads in Cambridge travelling around for work. At the time I just glimpsed this unique structure quickly in passing, and I knew I had to investigate further. With its unique look, tar paper siding and perseverance in a neighborhood rapidly gentrifying from lower/working class to high end condos and tech complexes I feared a bit that it could slip away, and the wire fence I saw in the corner of my eye left me worried that it could be slated for demolition to be replaced with some neo-Bauhaus wonder. 



Immediately after work that night I trekked out to it, perhaps a few quarters of a mile out of the way. I took several photos but they were all grainy (one is included at the bottom of this post) due to the poor lighting. I was happy to see that a large banner announced a restoration effort. Lucky for this structure, its significant history had been recognized as relevant to preserve. By following the website on the sign, I was fascinated to learn that these unusual shingles are original back to the late 1800s. It is an African Orthodox church, designed by architect Robert H. Slack, built in 1886, and weirdly was once expanded by chopping the building in half, moving the sections further apart, and then in-filling, which just seems totally wild!



Cambridgeport's website indicates that the church is still active under minister Charles (Kit) Eccles, and recent news describe that it also will be available as community space. 


This informational placard out front of the church describes the impact of its founder Bishop George A. McGuire, and was considered a religious wing of an African American political movement led by Marcus Garvey. Garvey is an interesting historical figure to read about, and is described as a Pan-Africanist, and Black Nationalist. My understanding about Bishop McGuire is that this church was initially a branch of the Episcopal Church, until his founding of the African Orthodox Church in 1921.

The website mentions the roof was just replaced, and with that context I'm noticing the alternating shingle pattern. I'm skeptical that was original, but I like the look of it. 


Text and photographs by George Parks
Sources are embedded in links


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Patrick Parish, Lawrence, MA

Restoration Road, Wakefield, MA

Annual Pumpkin Sale, First Congregational Church, Saugus, MA

Saint John's Episcopal Church, Saugus, MA

Bell Rock Cemetery, Malden, Massachusetts