Union Chapel, Interdenominational House of Worship by the Sea, North Hampton, NH

It's been a while, a year actually since I've posted in Pillars & Foundations. The thought has been there however like many I've tried to navigate this altered state that we exist in. Like many of you I've sought out different methods of managing my peace of mind. For me it has been escaping to nature when I can for look solitary walks in the forest. While not a solid excuse, my blogging has certainly taken a hit by re-dedication of time. Of course my exploration of community institutions, and places of worship has also taken a hit by curbs on social gatherings. I suspect these days I would get more strange looks showing up somewhere I don't regularly attend, with the justified concerns of people, and often reduced attendance of services.

At the end of this summer I happened upon Union Chapel in North Hampton, NH when my wife and I were visiting the gorgeous Fuller Gardens. The chapel is directly across the street from the parking lot, with a view of the Atlantic. I noticed the doors were open, and my curiosity got the best of me. A volunteer was there attending to some errands and he invited me in, inviting me to take photographs, and gave me a run down of the history. His family had been involved with the chapel for multiple generations and he had been married there, as had his father before him. 

The area of the Fuller Gardens and the Union Chapel is called "Little Boar's Head," and it was a summer retreat for people starting in the 1900s. The chapel was constructed in 1877 in the neo-gothic style, and has been holding interdenominational Christian services ever since. 
The exterior is done up in wooden clapboard that mimics bricks. The volunteer described some of the maintenance made more challenging by the unforgiving ocean air.
Note the name "Fuller," in the window, which I understand to be of relation to the family that developed the gardens across the street.
The interior definitely has the Anglican/Episcopal style, white washed walls, dark wood and stained glass windows, that are quite intricate (Tiffany glass on some) for a worship hall of this size.

The chapel even boasts an organ, which certainly must add to the services. They have rotating reverends providing services throughout the warmer months. Unquestionably this site must have created incredible memories for generations of people
I have to thank the gentleman for giving me a quick tour. Also I had a nice church bulletin which had a quick summary of the history, providing a bit more depth than I have here.

Text and photographs by George Parks
Sources are embedded in links

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saint Athanasius Parish, Reading, MA

First Lutheran Church, Malden, MA

Immaculate Conception Parish, Malden, MA

Unitarian Universalist Church of Reading, Reading, MA

Old Burial Ground, Lynnfield, Massachusetts