Churches of Catalonia, Spain

Churches of Catalonia, Spain


In addition to exploring local churches in New England, I enjoy travelling abroad and seeing religious sites, taking in the culture and the architecture.

I intend to put a few of these posts together to show some of the photos I have from various regions I've been to.

Basílica de Santa Maria del Pi  was under construction/renovation when I visited, but it was still an impressive site to see.
Basilica de Santa Maria 



Inside of Basilica de Santa Maria looking out- I like how this came out with the light in the door and the prayer votives.
Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia, the glare and shadow was a bit intense.








More renovation!

Cathedral of the Holy Cross and Saint Eulalia (inside, chandelier)


I believe this is now part of the Barcelona history museum- former church

I'm actually not sure what this church is, I recall that it wasn't far from the water front- if someone knows, please leave me a comment. 
On a trip to Barcelona we visited several beautiful churches within the city, and we also took a day trip to Montserrat, home of the Black Madonna, which is a pilgrimage site for Catholics. Montserrat's location in the mountains is spectacular, and this should not be missed if one finds themselves in Catalonia.

Prayer votives were in separate areas on the campus and they had a cave like feeling to them

A festive dance on the grounds of Montserrat



Of course the most famous Catalonian church is none other than Sagrada Familia, the Gaudi masterpiece. We waited in an incredibly long line to get into the church but it was worth it. I'm not going to write much on this. Enjoy my sloppy tourist pictures, I think I still managed to capture some amazing shots, even if they are occasionally crooked and uncentered.




It goes without saying that Barcelona is an amazing place. I hope to go back to Catalonia and do more exploring one day. While generally speaking I continuously want to see new ground without heading back to a place, given options, this is easily somewhere I would not hesitate to return to.


Text and photographs by George Parks
Sources are embedded in links




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Emmanuel Episcopal Church, Wakefield, MA

Saint Athanasius Parish, Reading, MA

Immaculate Conception Parish, Malden, MA

Jacobs Family Cemetary, Peabody, MA

Sacred Heart Church, Auburn, Maine