Buddhist Meditation Group, Unitarian Universalist Church, Reading, MA

Buddhist Meditation Group, Unitarian Universalist Church, Reading, MA


Pillars & Foundations documents an exploration of communities, as well as faith through religious institutions. My intent is to share experiences, and spread the positivity that I observe. 



UUCR

About a year ago I had the pleasure of attending a Sunday service at UU Reading (read about it here). I found a welcoming community of diverse people, and eventually it was only natural that I would have to attend the Buddhist Meditation group held at 7:15 on Monday nights in their community room. I had managed to attend twice previously, but I had not written about the experience. Amidst my spiritual and community exploration over the past year I attended Kurukulla Center in Medford semi-continuously on Monday nights where courses are offered on Buddhist practice. On one occasion I had an off night and attended Andy Furst's Sangha in Reading. On another date I attended again and a substitute from UUCR aptly led the meditation. I enjoyed the experience and decided to return once I concluded a block of courses at Kurukulla.


Meditation Group @ UUCR


The best way to learn about the meditation which is approximately an hour long on Monday nights, is to check out the website/blog for the group. Better yet, join the group in practice if it suits you, as they are very welcoming.

While I have not found this Buddhist group overtly traditional or rigidly following the teachings, Andy does take time to educate the participants. I get the impression that participants tend to flow in and out, while there are a handful of regulars, because each of the three times I've been there have been "new" individuals. Perhaps unique to this meditation is some practice of Qigong, which is described as coordinated movement, breathing, coupled with meditation with the intent to "cultivate and balance qi (chi)." Chanting is also a large part of the practice at UUCR. 

I find it an interesting, rewarding experience, and there is much to be gained from Buddhist teachings, and enacting such practices for the benefit of all sentient beings. An excellent way to train ones self to be better. It is seemingly a no strings-attached, comfortable environment to be exposed to it and I highly recommend it.

One note, UUCR has limited cushions, and I've found people tend to gravitate towards chairs. My preference personally is to try to train myself to use the cushions, but of course comfort for concentration is key. If cushions are preferred, participants may want to bring their own as I think there are only 3-4 sets available.

Text and photographs by George Parks
Sources are embedded in links


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

First Parish Congregational Church, Wakefield, MA

Saint Athanasius Parish, Reading, MA

First Lutheran Church, Malden, MA

Saint Florence Parish, Wakefield, MA

Saint Patrick Parish, Lawrence, MA